Macau will continue to host world-class boxing events despite the big downturn in casino revenue, a top official assured on Thursday, allaying fears this weekend's "Victory at the Venetian" would be the last in the city.
While Macau casino revenue continues to plunge - it declined 36.2 per cent in June compared with the same month last year, the 13th straight monthly drop, as President Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign bites - Dave Horton, global chief marketing officer of Las Vegas Sands and Sands China, said it would be "business as usual" and that co-promoters Venetian Macao and Top Rank would continue to stage boxing shows.
"Our commitment to bringing world-class entertainment across the board to Macau is not changing," said Horton. "In fact, we are more committed than ever to bringing diversified entertainment from Bon Jovi to sporting events, whether it's music or sport or live broadway shows, as well as our shopping.
"It's very important to our strategy as the market changes to bring a diversified product to Macau. Each fight [being organised] is done individually. We don't have a definite date for our next one.
"We are working with Top Rank and other promoters on bringing sport events to Macau and this is going to continue and we will keep working on doing what we can to bring good entertainment to Macau," he said.
It is understood Lander Real Estate, one of China's leading property development companies, was set to come on board, bringing additional sponsorship into future sporting events, especially boxing.
Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said a number of property developers wanted to be involved.